I got my first shipment of new supplies from the 2015-2016 annual catalog! It was filled with all sorts of goodies and I couldn’t wait to make my first card.
When you first get a new catalog, isn’t there always one particular stamp set that just calls to you? That’s what happened when I saw Watercolor Wings. It was one of the those stamp sets, where I just HAD to have it. It went right to the top of my wish list. I mean, this stamp set is just gorgeous!!! I seriously love everything about it … the watercolor style, the layers, and the little sayings that come with it. Plus, it has coordinating Bold Butterfly Framelits and Butterflies Thinlits to make cutting out the butterflies a snap. In fact, you can buy the Watercolor Wings stamp set and Bold Butterfly Framelits in a bundle for 15% off.
For my project today, I paired the Watercolor Wings with the gorgeous Timeless Elegance Designer Series Paper.
I actually fell in love with this paper too, so I thought it would be fun to use both on this project. The Timeless Elegance Designer Series Paper comes in Basic Black and Very Vanilla. I used a spritzer to add Pool Party ink, spraying up from the lower right hand corner. Then, I sponged around the edges to really give the paper a glow. I also used the dotted background stamp from Watercolor Wings to stamp Pool Party ink on the top and bottom of my card for some extra added interest. Finally, I stamped the greeting directly onto the paper with Tuxedo Black Memento ink.
For my butterflies, I used Pool Party, Island Indigo, and Elegant Eggplant inks. For all the stamping, I inked up the stamps and then used an Aqua Painter to brush water onto the stamp before stamping onto Very Vanilla card stock. This technique works wonderfully with this stamp set! Every time I stamped a butterfly, it looked slightly different, and I feel that this technique really makes the images look watercolored. I started with the Pool Party, then added the Elegant Eggplant, and lastly the Island Indigo.
I have one tip for stamping these butterflies. After my first attempt, I realized that I did not line up the body of the butterfly correctly in order to use the framelit to cut it out. I found that if I stamped the wings, then cut out the butterfly, and then stamped the body, I could line everything up and be much more successful. To help see the die cut image easier, I placed my cut butterfly on some scrap colored paper. That made the body of the die cut stand out more so I could line up the body stamp.
I also recommend stamping photopolymer stamps on top of a Stampin’ Pierce Mat. You will get a much better stamped images this way.
For the antennae, I stamped those last directly onto the background paper once I figured out where I wanted to place my butterflies.
The small lacy looking butterfly die cut was cut from Vellum paper using the Bold Butterfly Framelits. I attached it with glue dots under the center of the body, then added a row of Elegant Eggplant Candy Dots.
There are so many possibilities with this stamp set. This is just the beginning.
Supplies used on my card: