Spring is in the air (at least here in California!) There are gorgeous pink plum trees blossoming all over town! I just love this time of year!!! It makes me so happy.
For Technique Thursday this week, I have some gift wrapping inspiration for you using the Build a Bouquet BigZ L die and coordinating photopolymer stamp set. These two products are awesome, because they allow you to create several different types of flowers in any color you want. Today, I’m going to show you how I made three different flowers to decorate my gift.
Stampin’ Up! has a great YouTube video to go with its Build a Bouquet Kit that includes instructions on how to make each type of flower in the kit. You can see it HERE. I definitely encourage you to watch the video. However, I’m only using the die cut and stamp set here, not the kit, so there are a few differences. There are a few shapes that you get in the kit that are not available on the die cut. Also, the kit petals appear to be cut from fairly thin paper. I used card stock and filter paper for my flowers, so I had to make a few accommodations. Since I went through this learning process, I thought I’d share my tips with you.
The first flower I made was the purple one. I used the die cut to cut eight large petals and eight small petals. As you can see below, the petal shapes have a little slit in the bottom to help you form them. I cut all my petals from Rich Razzleberry and stamped them in Blackberry Bliss. To stamp the petals, I found that it was easier to do it upside down, similar to a background stamp. That way, I could ensure the stamp was well inked, and I could line up the bottom of the petal with the stamp to get my lines fairly straight.
After I got everything stamped, I used a bone folder to work each petal and break down the fibers. This is especially important with card stock, since it’s so thick. Then, I formed the petal shapes as shown in the video. I used hot glue along the slit to pleat the petal. (Sorry for not taking a picture.) I ended up not using the two leaves. The die cut doesn’t have a piece for the bottom of the flower, like the kit does, so I cut out an Old Olive flower instead.
To create the center of my flower, I cut two strips of White Filter paper 4″ wide. I used a Stampin’ Spritzer filled with water and 7 drops of Daffodil Delight re-inker to color the paper. Once it dried, I folded the two pieces in half and used Fringe Scissors to cut fringe.
I used a wire stem purchased from the craft store. I placed hot glue on the stem and then wrapped the fringe around the stem as tightly as possible, adding more hot glue as needed to make sure the fringe adhered.
To finish creating the purple flower, I basically followed the instructions in the video. I used hot glue to add each petal, first adding all the small petals, and then adding the large petals. Finally, I glued the green flower to the bottom. I have to admit that I’m not the neatest person when using a hot glue gun. But, nature is not perfect, so making these flowers is pretty forgiving.
For the next flower, I started out just like the video. I used needle nose pliers to form a loop out of the wire stem, hot glued a Vintage Faceted Button onto the loop, and then covered the button with more filter paper that I spritzed Daffodil Delight. Then, I used floral tape to wrap the filter paper onto the stem.
The die cut does not have the rounded daisy petal shape, like the kit. Therefore, I used the pointed chrysanthemum shape instead. I cut out four pieces from White Filter Paper, then I used the coordinating stamp set to stamp the bottoms with Daffodil Delight.
Just like the video, I used hot glue to adhere the petals, then I used a bone folder to curl each petal.
When I do this again, I plan to glue the petals a little higher onto the button.
My last flower was formed from three circle pieces provided with the White Filter Paper. I scrunched the center and tied it with some White Baker’s Twine.
Then, I simple fluffed it. It’s that easy.
I wrapped my gift with 1-1/4″ White Jute Ribbon. Then, I tied the large filer paper flower onto the ribbon. For the other two flowers, I fed the stems through the knot.
I added a White Jute Ribbon bow, and then tied some Bermuda Bay Sequin Trim around the bow.
I think anyone would LOVE getting a gift that looks this pretty!
Supplies used on my project: