Technique Thursday – Painted Petals

By | February 12, 2015

I have a super fun technique to share with you today!  It may look difficult, but believe me, it was so easy … no painting involved.  Intriqued?  Read on…

I was watching some of the videos from the Leadership Conference that Stampin’ Up! held in Orlando last week, and Shelly Gardner demonstrated this technique.  I loved it so much that I HAD to try.   It works particularly well with the Painted Petals stamp set.  I know it looks a little messy, but it’s suppose to.  I guess it’s a matter of taste, but I LOVE it, and this was my first try!  There have been several examples of cards using this technique on Stampin’ Up!’s home page.

DSC_4892 copy - Copy

To start out, cut a piece of watercolor paper as desired.  I cut mine a little big, and trimmed it afterwards.  One thing about this technique is that you have to be patient.  You do one color at a time.  I know my first picture shows two colors.  But, I actually started with the Old Olive stems and let them completely dry before I stamped the Blackberry Bliss flowers.

How To:  I simply stamped the stems just like normal on watercolor paper.  Afterwards, I used a Stampin’ Spritzer filled with water, and held it approximately 10″ away from my paper, and I lightly spritzed the stamped portion until I got the desired bleeding.  Then, I set the paper aside to dry.  Next, I stamped the flowers and then spritzed them.  Note that the Blackberry Bliss REALLY likes to bleed, so I didn’t need to spritz much.

DSC_4882

Next, I stamped a group of flowers in Daffodil Delight.  At first, I spritzed them too much, so the flowers completely disappeared.  I still liked the way my paper looked, so I decided to wait for them to dry and tried stamping them again.  This time, I spritzed a little lighter.  Again, I let the paper dry completely.

DSC_4883

Next, I added a few leaves in Old Olive.  And then I did the same thing, I spritzed them and let them dry.

DSC_4884

Finally, I stamped some individual flowers in Rose Red.  I lightly spritzed them and let them dry.

DSC_4885

After trimming my paper, I sponged the edges with Soft Sky ink.

DSC_4893 copy - Copy

I also stamped some dots along the bottom of the card.  It’s hard to tell, but I added a second row above the first by stamping off once.

DSC_4894 copy - Copy

I used the new White Jute Trim on my card.  It’s very wide, so instead of tying it, I used some Old Olive 1/8″ Taffeta Ribbon to tie it off.

For my label, I used the Artisan Label Punch.  For the Soft Sky layer in back, it cut the label in two so I could spread it and adhere it behind the top and bottom.

DSC_4895 copy - Copy

Supplies used on my card:

Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

Hope you liked this technique.  Now, go try it!

Tami Hewlett

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *