It’s MDS Monday, and this week Beth designed a super fun sketch. She also issued a challenge to create a point of visual interest on the page with stamps you don’t typically use. I love this idea! I’m the first to admit that I tend to have my “go to” downloads that I use again and again. I think it’s a great idea to explore and find overlooked downloads. That’s a perfect way to spark imagination to create something really different.
I found a download, Neon Notes, that I don’t think I’ve ever used! Gasp, can you believe it? I remember a long time ago seeing a page I loved created by Kimberly Van Diepen using this download. Since then, I’ve considered it several times, but another download just seemed to suit better. Anyway this time, I decided this is it. It’s time to use Neon Notes!
One thing I really love about this download is the tropical flower outlines in the background. Combined with the geometric shapes, I think this download works perfectly for a beach themed page. The download also has great stamp brushes, including all the ones I’ve placed on the photos. For my point of interest, I took a stamp brush that included a pattern of seven circles and cropped out each circle individually with a circle punch so I could place each circle where I wanted. I even lowered the opacity of some to add a little more interest.
I did one tricky thing on this page that I wanted to point out. The “tag” on Beth’s sketch is very long. When I placed one of the Neon Notes embellishment tags on the layout, it fell significantly short. To remedy this, I added another embellishment (with the stripes) next to the tag to lengthen it. I had to crop it to fit, which was easy. However, I also wanted to add a drop shadow. As you may know, when you add a drop shadow to two items next to each other, it becomes very apparent that they are indeed two separate elements. To correct this, I clicked on the striped embellishment, then clicked drop shadow. When the drop shadow window came up, I used my cursor to move the drop shadow to the left away from where the two embellishments were meeting. This effectively eliminated the distinction between the two embellishments, but allowed me to maintain the drop shadow on the bottom so everything looked seamless.
These great photos were taken by my sister Jill. (I mentioned before that I get all my great photos from her! She gives me the photos, then I scrap them and give her copies. We’re a good team.) These photos are representative of the many, many days we spent at the beach with our kids during vacations in the Summer. They bring back such great memories! The photos were taken on a fairly typical overcast California day. The colors weren’t that vibrant, and of course the Neon Notes download has very bright colors. Therefore, I just decided to change all the photos to black and white. It didn’t make that much of a difference in the color of the photos, and I removed the conflict with the busy background.
Here’s Beth’s sketch for this week:
Downloads used on my page:
1. Unfortunately will not be providing continued support for the MDS software after support is discontinued on May 31st.
2. We are offering any MDS user a FREE copy of My Memories Suite 5.
3. Installed MDS content can be migrated into My Memories Suite. Be sure to download any purchased MDS content to your computer prior to site closing. (Steps for Mac) / ( Steps for Windows)
4. You can convert any MDS created album project into a MMS album by changing the file extensions from .mds to .mms. (Steps for Mac) / (Steps for Windows)
5. MMS offers professionally printed photobooks and calendars that can be uploaded through MMS. As well as photo gifts that can be ordered online.
6. MMS does not offer direct professionally printed board books, journals, and cards. Be sure to finish any of these project types in MDS prior to closing of print services.
7. Our content such as Papers and Embellishments will work with MDS, but only if you select the General format. (Or do the reverse of the migrate steps.)
8. We are offering an upgrade to My Memories Suite 6 for $19.99 which includes a $7 mymemories.com store credit.
Please contact us if you have any questions.”