Do you ever just peruse Pinterest for inspiration and ideas? I seem to be doing it a lot lately. It’s a little addictive. It fascinates me to see the clever ideas that others come up with.
The other day, I pinned a gorgeous butterfly card that I wanted to try my hand at recreating (and of course give my own little touch.) My mom happened to be visiting, so we stamped together and had a blast creating.
I absolutely adore the color combination for this card. It’s made up of In Colors from the past two years, including Blackberry Bliss, Lost Lagoon, Cucumber Crush, Hello Honey, Tangelo Twist and Watermelon Wonder. Stampin’ Up! makes it easy to find great color combination. All the In Colors coordinate. You really can’t go wrong if you use them together.
This particular color combination is super vibrant. It works really well for a watercolor wash because they all blend.
To create the background for this card, I started out with an oversized piece of watercolor paper and adhered it to my work surface with old washi tape to keep it flat. Then, I covered the entire sheet of watercolor paper with clear water. Next, I gradually started adding each color with an Aqua Painter. I kept a paper towel nearby to mop up excess pools of water and to help keep the colors contained. Also, since I wanted really vibrant colors, I went back a couple times and added more concentrated color before the paper dried. That helped create the splotchy look.
I cut the butterflies out of Basic Black cardstock using the Butterflies Thinlits Dies. These are beautiful, delicate and intricate die cuts. Therefore, I used my Precision Base Plate with my Big Shot Machine to ensure I got nice crisp edges and cuts.
We couldn’t quite fit all three butterflies on our cards. It was my mom who came up with the idea of using only half a butterfly for the bottom one. Rather than fold the butterfly, she cut out the body and adhered it over the other wing. I loved this idea, way to go mom!!! Mom used a black marker to draw antennae on her butterflies. I thought that was another great idea. I ended up leaving them off mine, first because I forgot, and second because mine looked a little busier than hers and I sort of liked it the way it was.
Supplies used on my card: